Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Curriculum Review Part 1

     I thought I would start a section on some of my favorite curricula, as well as why I chose to use a particular publisher or system. When deciding to homeschool, it can be very overwhelming when you see the options out there. It can also be frustrating when you realize that it is not a one size fits all learning system. It can be expensive, so understanding how to analyze and purchase can make your homeschooling life much easier. 

    I will start with Math for this post. One advantage that I have as a former teacher is exposure to various publishers and textbooks. When you are a student, you are handed a book, and that is what you use, regardless of learning style. As a teacher, you are handed a teacher's manual, and that is what you use. If it is not working, then it is up to you as the teacher to adapt, usually at your own expense. Some texts work great if your child is a high achiever. That same set may not work as well if your child has special needs. One advantage of homeschooling is that you don't need to use the same curricula for each child. With that said, that situation can create a great deal of added expense, so it is important to carefully analyze your students' needs in light of curriculum. For example, ABeka has a good math curriculum that is fast paced and works well with high achievers. It is cyclical in nature, so there is constant review. I did not choose this because a couple of mine just needed a little more time to process the information. 

    I did a lot of analysis and examination before choosing my math curriculum. I had something in mind but wanted to explore all of my options. One advantage that I have is a wonderful co-op that will graciously lend out books, as well as a curriculum pantry where donations are made, and a homeschool consignment store not too far from home. After careful evaluation, I settled on my original choice. I like Saxon Math for several reasons. 


1. Saxon is simple. There are no colorful pictures or elaborate designs. The text is simple. It reads simple. 

2. Saxon is cyclical in nature. Each problem set is a constant review of what was learned before. Each lesson builds on the other, providing a cumulative assessment after about 10 lessons (depending on the level). 

3. Online lessons. There are an abundance of lessons online. You can pay for some of these, but more often, you can find a teacher with lessons uploaded to YouTube out of that exact textbook. 

4. Problem Sets have the same number of problems. In most cases, there are only 30 practice problems. It is important that all problems are completed because of the review process. 

5. You don't necessarily need the newest edition. Math is math. You can find an abundance of used books online or in consignment stores. This is probably one of the most affordable ways to teach math. 

6. This works with a variety of learning levels. My children are all over the place with levels and special needs. This works with all of them. 

    These are just few reasons why I love and chose Saxon Math. However, your curriculum must be based on your children's learning style(s) and needs. You may have your own teaching preferences, as well. That is the beauty of homeschooling. You have the choice. You can switch mid-year if something is not working. I have enjoyed re-learning many of the math skills that I had forgotten. It seems much easier this time around. Never quit learning. Keep learning alongside your children. Show them how to be life-long learners. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Curriculum Review Part 1

       I thought I would start a section on some of my favorite curricula, as well as why I chose to use a particular publisher or system. W...